What to Bring to SUP Yoga (Paddle Boarding Yoga)
Stand Up Paddleboarding Season is upon us (#ThatsWhatsSUP)! During our 90 minute SUP classes, we will cover everything from safety, a full yoga class and some time to play around on Reeds Lake or Lake Macatawa.
If you’re nervous about trying SUP yoga and wondering what to pack (or NOT pack) in your beach bag, here is our quick Funky Buddha checklist:
- Drink water and eat something light before class. You are going to work hard and there’s nothing worse than being lightheaded in downward dog. On a board. In the water.
- Hydrate plenty before and after class.
- A definite essential for the summer months (an oil-free sunscreen/waterproof is best, so you aren’t slipping around on your board).
- Swimsuit/synthetic clothing
- Similar to being in the studio, you are going to sweat (and maybe end up in the water!), so wear something comfortable that won’t weigh you down when it gets wet AKA no cotton.
- Beach towel
- Not everyone ends up in the water during class, but for those who want to (or fall in), having a warm towel when you get to shore is always nice.
- A warm layer
- For those early mornings on Reeds and Lake Mac, you will want to bring an extra layer to stay warm.
Things to leave at home:
Our rule of thumb is if you’re not willing to watch it float to the bottom of the lake, leave it on shore. We’ll have someone on land to watch everyone’s goods, but things like phones, sunglasses and jewelry should be left in the car or at home.
For those extra adventurous, feel free to bring Go-Pro cameras, water proof phone cases, etc. at your own risk (SUP Yoga makes for some great photos).
Looking for more info on when to arrive, cancellations and parking? Head to our event page for all the details.
Moments From Our 1st Annual SUP Yoga Class!
The sun was shining, the water was clear and Funky Buddhas were ready to dip their paddles in the water during the first Funky Buddha Yoga SUP Yoga Class of the year on Reeds Lake!
Fresh from SUP Yoga training in Colorado, Jen W. started the class with a little water safety, SUP 101 and then it was time to glide into class.
Here’s a glimpse at the awesomeness that is a SUP yoga class and find us on Facebook for even more photos (and tag yo’ self)!
If you missed the first Funky Buddha SUP class, never fear! There are a ton of classes left at Reed’s Lake and options at Lake Macatawa in Holland until September 5. Classes are $30 for Funky Buddha Yoga members and $40 for the public, and don’t forget to pre-register.
For more info on dates, times, and how to sign up, check it here.
#funkybuddhayoga #ThatsWhatsSUP #SUPyoga